Once the instrument of the Chapel Royal at St James’s Palace, the newly refurbished organ at Crick is the focus for a glorious programme of anthems from the English choral tradition.
Wesley – Blessed be the God and Father
Mendelssohn – Organ sonata
Wesley – Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace
Nares – The souls of the righteous
Bach – Toccata and Fugue in D minor
Joining us in this historic church (where Archbishop Laud was once rector) is Peterborough Cathedral’s organist and director of music, Andrew Reid.
Fiori Musicali Chamber Choir, Andrew Reid organ, Penelope Rapson directorTickets £15
There has been a chuch on this ancient site since before 700 AD. By 1077 the Norman church with Nave and Chancel had been built by Geoffrey de la Guerche, who granted the tithes to Monks Kirby for the monastery of Angers, Normandy. The ensuing 300 years saw many additions and modifications, including the broach spire (rare in the early 13th century) and the distinctive pink Hartshill stone facing for the tower in the 14th century.
William Laud, who went on to become Archbishop of Canterbury and architect of the First Book of Common Prayer, was Rector from 1611 to 1621. Towards the end of this period he was also President of St John's College, Oxford who remain today a patron of the living.
The Thomas Elliot organ was originally built in 1819 for the Chapel Royal at St James' Palace, London before finding its way to Crick in 1841. Following extensive work, the organ has recently been restored to its original playing condition. It is a rare example of an instrument following the old English tradition.
Fiori Musicali are one of the UK’s principal providers of baroque and classical music outside London.
EventList powered by schlu.net